To put it simply, fog occurs when there is a temperature difference between the ground and the air. This happens quite often, but sometimes are more intense than others. If you’ve ever had to drive through thick, blinding fog, then you know firsthand just how difficult it can be. Our team here at Certified Autoplex wants to help keep everyone safe on the roads by sharing a few tips for driving in fog.
We decided to share these tips now because fog is most common in the fall when the temperatures begin to drop below the ground temperature. Drivers are most likely to experience fog in the evening when the temperatures are dropping down to the lowest point of the day. Be sure to take note of these tips in order to stay safe while driving through fog.
Check out these safety tips from Certified Autoplex:
Top 5 Tips for Traveling through Fog
- Use Fog Lights – Although this one is obvious, it’s equally as important as the rest. If your car has fog lights, be sure to use them. These lights are positioned to illuminate the road and make you visible to other drivers during intense fog.
- Use Low-Beam Headlights – When we can’t see on the road, our initial reaction is to turn on the high-beams. However, the high-beams will reflect off the fog and back at your car, so be sure to only use the low-beams for these situations.
- Use Outer Road Lines – If you’re really having a hard time seeing, try to focus your eyes on the white lines on the right side of the road. This will keep you safely in your lane and not veering toward the center line into oncoming traffic.
- Slow Down – We can’t stress this one enough. If there is heavy fog and you’re having a hard time seeing, then you need to slow down. It’s more important to get from point A to point B safely than it is to get there quickly.
- Do Not Stop – Although you should be driving slower during fog, never stop on the road. Other drivers are already having a hard time seeing, so this could easily cause a collision. Be sure to pull over and turn lights off if you need to stop.
These are just a few tips to keep in mind next time you’re experiencing heavy fog on the road. It’s important to know which lights to use and lines to follow in order to stay safe. Be sure to slow down so you can stay in control, but never stop on the road because you’re putting other drivers in danger.
More information about safe ways to drive through fog are available by contacting our team here at Certified Autoplex. Drivers are encouraged to stay tuned to our blog for more driving tips and tricks.